Tuesday, May 26, 2009

May 23, 2009 (Camping- Day 1)


This morning, we decided to take Max to the ER again. He's been waking up screaming after a few hours of falling asleep every night since he hit his head. When we come into the room, he's holding his head saying his head hurts. He wakes up after naps like this too. We called both doctors offices and the ER nurse and they all strongly recommended we bring him in to be checked. While I was putting Max's socks on to leave, he said "Are I goin' on a long long trip?" I told him not yet cause he had to go get his head checked again first, and he said "but dat's not fair". I stayed home with Hailey and Jack while Bruce took Max. The doctor did a full neurological workup on Max and also decided to do a contrast CT this time. They had to put an IV in for the dye. First, they did some blood work. Max watched closely, even the needle going in, and didn't even cry. All the nurses were amazed and talking about him in the halls. Then they did the IV. He screamed for that, but still held perfectly still. They said they had to use a bigger needle for the contrast. It took 4 tries. Poor guy. They wouldn't let Bruce go back this time for the CT scan. It was a longer (30 minute) one. Max was very good and went with them without complaining. He really likes riding on "the bed with wheels" though. He was also excited to get to go to the "big wheel" (the CT scan) again. He asked "Are I gonna go to da big wheel again and it spin around me?" They said he was such a good little boy. He talked to the doctor very well and answered all his questions for the neurological workup. When the doctor asked if he had any brothers or sisters at home, he said "I hab a brudder and a sister and a mommy and a daddy." He checked out OK and the CT scan didn't show any bleeding into the brain. They sent him home with the same diagnosis- a concussion. But they were very glad we brought him in again, especially since we were going camping and wouldn't be close to a hospital. They said that these symptoms can last for a week, sometimes even up to 4 weeks, and until a week has past he's still at risk for serious complications so to bring him in if he throws up more than once a day or if any new symptoms show up. They got back home around 3:30 and we left right away for camping. We stopped at McDonald's for dinner on the way and got to the campground around 7:00. They puppy was very good riding in the car and slept the whole way there. The kids got out their toys and started playing right away (Max with his tractors and Hailey with her dolls). I set Jack up with some toys in his highchair, so Bruce and I set up camp while they were all busy playing. After we finished, we had some time to just sit and relax watching the kids play. They had fun playing in the dirt and rocks around the fire pit, making me salads, pies, and cakes. Max made me a birthday cake using sticks for candles. He sang "Happy Dareday (Birthday) to you" and had me blow them out. Abby seemed to enjoy being outside on her tie out. I think she likes camping. She's such a good dog. When we went in to get ready for bed, Hailey and Max climbed right into their sleeping bags. I was just getting things cleaned up but was still planning on reading books and tucking them in. Hailey sat up and said "Mommy, we forgot to do two very important things- brush teeth and pray. I don't care if we don't read books tonight though, cause it's really late and we're tired." When they got done brushing their teeth, Hailey said "But can I just tell Max one little Lightning McQueen story? He'll really like it." I told her go ahead, and she told a very nice story that Max really enjoyed. Then she said to Max "OK, now it's time to pray." She prayed first ending her prayer like this "...And help Max to calm down and go to sleep and now Max wants to pray, Jesus." Max started to pray and said "But I don't know how." (This is the sort of weird things he's been doing since his head injury, like forgetting things he's been doing for awhile.) She said OK, I'll help you. Just say what I say." She told him what to say and he repeated after her. It was a very sweet prayer, so cute to hear them. Max told me about going to the hospital this morning and said "Da doctor poked me weally hard- a BIG poke!" Daddy took Hailey to the bathroom and then to see they lake on their way back. She loved going at night and whispered to me, "Daddy took me to see the lake at night. It was dark. You should go see it. You just turn right, then go straight, and it's right there, really close. I won't tell Max so he won't be sad." I put Jack in the crib and he fell asleep quickly. Hailey and Max were giggling and talking alot so we had to separate them, but they fell asleep pretty quickly after that, around 10:30.

1 comment:

ROCKIN-R-RANCH said...

Its nice to see you blogging again, even from awhile ago. The kids look so young. I can't believe its been over 2 yrs since Max's head injury.