Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Max playing doctor with "Nunkie fwiend".

Asking "Do you don't fell bery (very) good?"

Giving "Nunkie fwiend" a dish to throw up in.




Max was doing much better today. He was back to playing again as soon as he woke up this morning. The only thing is he's still not eating very well and he gets irritated very easily, which they said is common in children with head injuries. He cried when his feet got wet in the grass, when the backs to his sandals slipped down, and lots of other little things like that, stuff he normally wouldn't care about. He also hasn't been using the potty anymore since he fell. Even though he's been completely potty trained for quite some time, he's been having accidents in his pants everytime he has to go. They said to just have patience with him because it's all normal after a head injury, and they said that could last six weeks or more, some times even a year or more. It's hard to believe that a bump on the head can cause so many problems. I guess they call it post concussion syndrome, and kids under five are much more likely to suffer from it than an adult or older child. It's still very frustrating though, even though they say it's pretty normal in a kid his age to have these types of behavioral problems after a head injury. He still wanted to wear his hospital bracelet most of the day. He put the other one on his monkey and then played doctor. He layed his monkey on his bed and got the doctor kit out. He listened to his heart and told him to take a deep breath. Then he got the thermometer and said "Put dis under your tongue." He put the thermometer right up to the monkey's mouth but then whined saying "But he don't hab a tongue." I showed him how to take it under his arm instead which made him happy. Then he pretended to get out some medicine from the bottle and said "Now put this right on your tongue. But don't swallow it. Only swallow your spit. It's just gonna melt." That's exactly what the nurse told Max when she gave him the medicine for the nausea. It was so funny how he did everything that he remembered them doing. I worked on packing and also cleaning the house today. We are leaving on Saturday morning for camping, and we are having an open house while we are gone on Sunday. As Jack was crawling away from me in the living room, he stopped and looked around his shoulder and waved at me. Then he went back to crawling toward kitchen. I brought him back after he headed for the dog water dish. He played for a few minutes and then started crawling away again. He again turned to look back at me and then waved before heading back to the kitchen. After dinner I took the kids outside to play. I pushed them on the swings. Max wanted me to push him high like Hailey but the doctor doesn't want him to swing yet. When I told him that, Max said "But I'm all better cause Jesus make me better. Jesus did." I put him in the bumble bee swing instead and pushed him high in that which made him happy. He also wanted to climb up and go down the slide but the doctor said no climbing either. I opened the sand box for him and he had fun playing with his tractors in the sand. He played for over an hour in there. I sat at the bottom of the slide with Jack. I put Jack behind me so he could sit and play on the slide. He started climbing up it. Hailey was cracking up laughing. She thought that was so funny. It was pretty funny. He got a little ways up and I had to pull him back down or I think he would have went all the way. He was laughing and thought it was funny every time I pulled him and he would slide down. I took the kids out to the camper with me while I packed a few things in it. They played with the toys in their backpacks. We stayed out till bedtime. After reading books and getting the boys tucked in bed, I took Hailey out and we sat on the porch swing while we read her books. She really enjoyed that.

No comments: