Tuesday, December 2, 2008

At the doll store to adopt a baby.



Putting on a gown to hold her baby.

Holding her baby for the first time.
Time to give the baby an exam.
Helping the nurse measure the baby.

Let's see how much she weighs.
Helping the nurse check the baby.

Time to sign the adoption papers.
My turn to hold the baby.
Aunt Meme and Nana had to have a turn too.




She kept hugging and kissing her baby as we walked through the store.



At the restaurant.









They all thought pulling Jack behind them was so funny.


Hailey layed her baby by Jack and took this picture. She also took a bunch more pictures of her baby. She took some of her baby in the swing, carseat, and playing with toys. There was about 30 pictures of just her baby on my camera.

Reading to her baby.
He likes to pretend that the wheels are broke. He loads the "bwoke wheels" onto the trailer and drives the truck to the "wheel store" to get fixed. He also likes to put the "bwoke wheels" in the garbage truck and dump them into the back, and then load the truck up with "new fixed wheels".


My mom and Kimmy got to our house around 9:30 this morning. Jacob was very excited to give Max his birthday present and handed it to him as soon as he walked through the door. Max loved the Lego Lightning McQueen car, Matchbox car, and the Matchbox truck and trailer that they got him. Max and Jacob started playing with them right away. Nana decided that, for Hailey's birthday this year, she wanted to do something special and take her to the doll store to adopt a baby. (This doll store looks just like a hospital nursery.) We decided to make it a special day with the girls, so Nana, Aunt Meme, Hailey and I all spent the day together. (Jack came along too.) Bruce stayed home with Max, Jacob, and Adam. Hailey has been looking forward to this day for a couple weeks now and was very excited. When we got there, she peeked at the babies through the big window. Then the "nurse" took her in and had her put a gown on. After looking at all the babies, she quickly picked the one she liked the best. The nurse got the baby out of the bassinet and let Hailey hold her. While she was holding her new baby, the nurse asked her a bunch of questions. First she asked what she wanted to name her baby. Hailey told her "Cassy", which is the name she had picked out a couple days ago and told me. The nurse filled out the birth certificate and the paperwork. She asked her more "yes or no" questions about caring for her baby. She had Hailey sign the adoption papers and then stamped it for approval. Then she had Hailey help her measure and weigh the baby. They also checked the eyes, ears, nose, and reflexes. Hailey just loved the whole experience. I let her pick out an outfit for her baby afterwards. She picked a cute little snowsuit. After we bought it, they helped her put the snowsuit on the baby right away. Hailey loved that the baby looked real and had "real" hair. We went out for pizza for lunch. Hailey brought her baby into the restaurant. While I was taking Jack's snowsuit off, she took her baby's snowsuit off. We all passed the baby around and took turns holding her. When our pizza came, Hailey set her baby on the seat by her. Then she picked her right back up and said "She likes to be holded alots, all day." She held her the whole time. She was so cute with the baby and was so careful how she held her just like she would a real baby. Then we went to the big Christmas store. Hailey brought her baby in with her there too. A couple ladies that worked there came up to see Hailey's baby. She showed them all and smiled as they all told her how cute her baby was. While we were walking around, Hailey saw a tuba Christmas ornament. She showed me it and said "Daddy would love this. We should buy it for him for Christmas." I gave Hailey some money and let her buy it for daddy for Christmas. After she paid for it, she said "We can't tell daddy. It's a surprise." When we got home, Hailey ran right in the house to show daddy her new baby. He held the baby and she told him all about how she got to pick her out. Kimmy stayed while my mom went to her doctors appointment. Hailey was very protective of her baby with Jacob, Adam, and Max. She said "The boys can't hold my baby. Only Jacob cause he's bigger." She took it over to Jacob and asked him if he wanted to hold her new baby. She held her arm under the baby while he held her making sure he didn't drop her. She let Max and Adam pet her hair. Kimmy and I decided to take the kids outside to play in the snow. It took us awhile to get them all in their snowsuits and just as we were walking out the door, my mom got back from her appointment. She had to get home to Kenzie but let the kids play outside for a little while. Kimmy and I pulled them in the sled. Even Jack got to go for a ride in the baby sled. He loved being pulled around. He would cry whenever I stopped and wasn't happy until I started pulling him again. Kimmy pulled Hailey, Max, Jacob, and Adam on the big sled. Then Hailey pulled Jack's sled while riding on their sled and they were all laughing so hard. Before they left, I turned on the big snowman so Jacob and Adam could see it blow up. They really liked watching it get bigger. As soon as they left, Max asked me to get him his "take off cars" to play with. He sat down of the floor with them and took all the wheels off right away. He would put all the wheels onto the trailer so they could "go get fixed." He'd drive it away and then bring it back to put the "new fixed wheels" on his cars. Hailey got her baby and sat in the rocking chair with her. She rocked her a little bit and then got a book to read to her. (While she was filling out the paperwork, the nurse asked Hailey if she would rock her baby and read to her baby.) When Hailey was done reading her baby the book, she said "Mommy, can you get my baby's important papers and read them to me?" I started reading them and she said "Read me the part about I promise to love and care for my baby.... and the part about she likes to be holded alots." After I read all the papers to her, she said "But most of all, I got to teach her about God." She took her baby's hospital bracelet off and told me she should put it in her baby's baby book. Then she asked me if her baby had a baby book. I told her no but we could make one. She liked that idea and said "We can get some color papers and staple them together and trace her hands and feet." I promised to help her do that as soon as I got Max to bed. She asked me if she could call Nana to tell her she loved her new baby, but I told her she couldn't because they were having Bible study. She said "I went to Bible study before. When I spend to night I did. Bible study is boring. Not for big people but for kids. They watch a boring show and they talk for a long time. They talk about God but not in a fun way for kids. I like my Sunday school class. That is like a Bible study for kids." Max cried when it was time for bed again. He was still playing with his cars and didn't want to put them down. At least he stops as soon as we start his routine. He's happy as soon as I start reading him his books and he's always happy to crawl in his bed after that. I had him in bed by 7:30 because he didn't get a nap today. Hailey and I made the baby book. I got some construction paper and let her pick her colors she wanted. She picked pink and purple. I stapled them together and then Hailey asked me how to spell her baby's name. She wrote her name as I spelled it for her. Then I wrote Cassy's baby book on the front page and traced her feet. We traced her hands on an inside page. Then we cut a small piece of construction paper to make a pocket. Hailey helped me tape it on. Then she ran and got her baby's bracelet to put inside it. She was very happy with it and ran to find somewhere safe to put it. She put it inside her little cupboard underneath the doll crib. She rocked her baby again and said "She likes when I rock her till she's almost asleep and then lay her in her bed." She said "I think my baby might be a little scared tonight cause she's new, so maybe we should move her crib right next to my bed just for one night." I helped her moved it close to her bed, and then she tucked her baby in. I told her to go pick a book to read and bring it to the couch. She asked if her baby could read with us and went to pick her up. Then she said "Wait, she's trying to go to sleep. Can we read books in my bed tonight?" Usually she wants to only read books out on the couch. As I read her books to her, she would lean over and check on her baby every few seconds. While she was talking about her day, she said "Mommy, I had fun today. I like girls day."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hailey says such cute things. She's so smart. "Girls day" was lots of fun:)

Anonymous said...

I love that picture of Adam on the sled.

Melissa said...

Me too. It was just a picture of all of the kids on the sled but Adam was the only one looking so I just cropped it.